Tuesday 21 February 2012

In which we make Debby's Jumbles

"Then Katy could wait no longer but crept out of bed, crossed the floor on tip-toe, and
raising the lid a little, put in her hand. Something crumbly and sugary met it, and when
she drew it out, there, fitting on her finger like a ring, was a round cake with a hole
in the middle of it. "Oh ! It's one of Debby's jumbles !" she exclaimed.
**
Thanks to my lovely new Kindle I've been reacquainting myself with the What Katy Did stories and What Katy Did at School in particular. I just love the scene where Katy and Clover open their Christmas box and find myself transported into their little bedroom, full of plum pudding, jumbles, knitted gifts and gorgeous ruby red blooms. I've always been intrigued by Debby's Jumbles and decided to spend our rainy Sunday afternoon baking with my baby. She is always a very willing sous-chef ! Her ecstasy when I let her break the egg into the mixture was quite something to behold !
.
.
.
.
My happy little sous chef in action. She absolutely loves cooking, proving that the apple does not fall far from the tree.
And she doesn't answer back (yet) !
.
.
.
I'm not sure that they quite matched up to the crumbly sugariness described but they were still pretty good. I had a bag of brandy soaked fruit kicking around in the cupboard as well so, in the interest of marital harmony, I also made David's favourites - Chelsea Buns. They were the epitome of sticky, cinnamony goodness and didn't last very long !

No comments: